The other day I had a HUGE chocolate craving, so I decided to cheat a little and use a box mix instead of trying to whip up cake batter by hand.
Guess what, it worked perfectly!
Made by Yours Truly with a little help from Betty.
If you love Black Bottom cupcakes but hate spending the time on them, here is the "recipe"
Black Bottom Cupcakes
1 box of chocolate cake mix (I recommend Devils Food or Chocolate Fudge)
All items necessary to make box cake
1 8oz pkg cream cheese at room temp
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Blend together cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg with a hand mixer until fluffy and no lumps are seen.
- Fold in chocolate chips to cream cheese mixture.
- Make cake according to box directions
- Fill lined cupcake pan to 1/3 full of batter
- Gently drop 1 heaping teaspoon of cream cheese mixture in the center of each cupcake batter. Ensure that each cupcake gets a few chocolate chips in the cream cheese!
- Bake according to instructions (approx 20 minutes) until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and eat!
The batter rises up around the cream cheese and envelops it!
This recipe for the filling creates a very light and fluffy filling, opposed to the super dense cheesecake like fillings I have had in other Black Bottom cupcake recipes making these supper fluffy and delicate. Bad part of it is you can eat like five and not notice it, trust me!