Thursday, June 28, 2012

Black Bottom Cupcakes From a Box Recipe

  I love Black Bottom cupcakes, who doesn't? How could you not love the moist rich chocolate cake surrounding creamy, cheesecake like filling? The only thing I don't love is whipping them up, it takes forever to get the cake batter done and to be honest I'm a lousy baker. Whenever I make something from scratch it falls flat, sometimes literally, and honestly who has the time to whip up cake from scratch every time you get a craving? I certainly don't!


  The other day I had a HUGE chocolate craving, so I decided to cheat a little and use a box mix instead of trying to whip up cake batter by hand. 


Guess what, it worked perfectly!
Tada! 
Made by Yours Truly with a little help from Betty.


  If you love Black Bottom cupcakes but hate spending the time on them, here is the "recipe"


Black Bottom Cupcakes
1 box of chocolate cake mix (I recommend Devils Food or Chocolate Fudge)
All items necessary to make box cake


1 8oz pkg cream cheese at room temp
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chocolate chips


- Blend together cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg with a hand mixer until fluffy and no lumps are seen.


- Fold in chocolate chips to cream cheese mixture.


- Make cake according to box directions


- Fill lined cupcake pan to 1/3 full of batter


- Gently drop 1 heaping teaspoon of cream cheese mixture in the center of each cupcake batter. Ensure that each cupcake gets a few chocolate chips in the cream cheese!


- Bake according to instructions (approx 20 minutes) until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.


- Allow to cool and eat!


The batter rises up around the cream cheese and envelops it!

  This recipe for the filling creates a very light and fluffy filling, opposed to the super dense cheesecake like fillings I have had in other Black Bottom cupcake recipes making these supper fluffy and delicate. Bad part of it is you can eat like five and not notice it, trust me!





2 comments:

  1. never heard of them but they are something that would be cool to make for my son and hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friends mom used to make these all the time when I was a kid, we called them "tuxedo cupcakes" or "black and white cupcakes". I have a great from scratch recipe but it takes WAY too long.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love to hear what you have to say but be warned I reserve the right to whip out the Iron Paw on anyone. So play nice.